1 brought about or set up or accepted; especially long established; "the established social order"; "distrust the constituted authority"; "a team established as a member of a major league"; "enjoyed his prestige as an established writer"; "an established precedent"; "the established Church" [syn: constituted] [ant: unestablished]
2 securely established; "an established reputation"; "holds a firm position as the country's leading poet" [syn: firm]
3 settled securely and unconditionally; "that smoking causes health problems is an accomplished fact" [syn: accomplished, effected]
4 shown to be valid beyond a reasonable doubt; "the established facts in the case"
5 conforming with accepted standards; "a conventional view of the world" [syn: conventional]
6 introduced from another region and persisting without cultivation [syn: naturalized]
- The Establishment was a term for a traditional conservative ruling class and its institutions. In this context the term may also refer to that which is mainstream.
- The Establishment (club), an English Satire club in the early 1960s, founded by Peter Cook
- The Establishment (events), an Edinburgh / London based arts series, programmed by Kieran J Healey
- Establishment of religion refers to investing of political/social power in a particular state of faith.
- The Establishment (comic book) is a comic book produced by Wildstorm comics in 2001-2003 featuring a British team of superheroes.
- The Establishment Clause of the First Amendment (United States Constitution)
- The Establishment (Pakistan) a commonly used term to refer to Pakistan's dominant Military-Civil Oligarchy which exercises huge powers over policy.
- The Right of Establishment, one of the Four Freedoms granted by the European Union.
accepted, acknowledged, actual, admitted, ascertained, assigned, assured, attested, authenticated, borne out, categorically true, certain, certified, chronic, circumstantiated, confirmed, conformable, consuetudinary, conventional, corroborated, current, customary, decided, deep-dyed, deep-engraven, deep-fixed, deep-grounded, deep-laid, deep-rooted, deep-seated, deep-set, deep-settled, demonstrated, deployed, determinate, determined, documentary, dyed-in-the-wool, effectual, embedded, embosomed, embossed, emplaced, engrafted, engraved, ensconced, entrenched, etched, everyday, factual, familiar, fast, firmly established, fixed, folk, generally accepted, graven, guaranteed, hallowed, handed down, heroic, historical, hoary, immemorial, implanted, impressed, imprinted, in the bag, incorrigible, inculcated, indelibly impressed, infixed, ingrained, ingrown, installed, instilled, inveterate, inwrought, irreversible, legendary, located, long-established, long-standing, made sure, mythological, nailed down, normal, not in error, objectively true, obtaining, of long standing, of the folk, old-line, on a rock, on bedrock, on ice, open-and-shut, oral, ordinary, placed, planted, popular, positioned, posted, prescribed, prescriptive, prevalent, proved, proven, real, received, recognized, regular, regulation, rooted, seated, secure, set, settled, settled in habit, shown, situate, situated, spotted, stabilized, standard, stated, stationed, stock, substantiated, sure-enough, tested, thorough, time-honored, traditional, tried, tried and true, true, true as gospel, true-blue, truthful, unconfuted, undenied, understood, undoubted, unerroneous, unfallacious, unfalse, unmistaken, unquestionable, unrefuted, unwritten, usual, validated, venerable, veracious, verified, veritable, vested, warranted, well-established, well-founded, well-grounded, well-set, well-settled, widespread, wonted, worshipful